This Everyday Chili Recipe is called “everyday” not only because it’s easy, but it’s a kid friendly chili recipe that everyone will love!
It’s not that I have anything against chili – it’s just never been one of my “have to have” dinners or anything that I crave.
But the wife and the boys love chili, so it used to be another one of those dinners where I was on my own. Until, like a lot of my stories go, I actually tried it.
Surprise, surprise, it was good. Really good.
My wife actually got this recipe from her sister, who got it from a friend of hers and she’s been making it ever since. She loves it because you can do so many things with it because it’s basic and doesn’t have a ton of crazy ingredients.
No ancho chili whatever to buy or some weird spice that we’ll never use again. Hence the name Everyday Chili Recipe.
So you can make it everyday – no fancy ingredients to run out and buy. And as a bonus, it’s super kid friendly.
Lots of chili recipes are spicy, or have ingredients I know not everyone likes, especially the kids. That’s why this kid friendly chili recipe is so perfect!
You can make it as is for the kids then spice it up the way you like it, even set out different toppings to add on top.
The night I first tried it the boys were using tortilla chips as spoons and scooping it out of their bowls. We’ve also mixed it together with elbow noodles to make chili mac, or my favorite way – pile it on tortilla chips and cover with cheese to make the best nachos.
“The Best” next to my favorite chicken nachos with a recipe I use called fiesta chicken. I think I made this about 15 times this year. Every party we had was fiesta chicken nachos for a while.
Hey, add a bucket of coronas and you’ve got a party!
How Long Does Chili Take To Make?
Everyday Chili Recipe will only take you about 15 minutes to put together. Then it will have to cook on the stove for a couple of hours…but just grab a few beers and turn on the game.
You only need to stir it every once in a while and you’re good.
If you’re looking for a slow cooker or crock pot recipe, I’ve got you covered there too. Just get this recipe put together in a pot on the stove and pour it into your crock pot.
Let it cook for a couple of hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. You’ve got yourself a party.
Also this is a great way to keep the chili warm during a party if that’s what you’re making it for.
I mean, what can be easier that that? Just have the slow cooker chili going and all you need to worry about is getting your house clean…hopefully you’ve got some kids running around that can help you with that!
My favorite way to serve this chili for a party is to set out a chili topping bar! Grab some different varieties of shredded cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips (or small fritos bags for walking tacos) pickled jalapeños and hot sauce.
Your friends can customize their bowls with all the toppings they like, or none at all.
I’m a none at all chili guy. I know that’s so strange because when we’re making recipes for the site here I’m all in for ALL the toppings or condiments or anything you can load on.
And i love it.
But when it comes time to eat I go back to my plain old ways. Not my boys though, all the toppings you put out they’ll get on this chili.
They are definitely more like Christie when it comes to their eating habits and for that I am thankful!
This chili recipe is “Kid Friendly” so it’s not too spicy! You can spice it up for the adults with hot sauce or chili powder!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 15 oz. cans of kidney beans
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (28 oz. cans) of tomato sauce
- Add the oil to a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes until the onion has softened, then add the ground beef and garlic to the pot.
- Break up the beef and cook until the beef is no longer pink inside, then drain any grease from the pot if desired.
- Season the beef with the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce and stir to combine.
- Add in the beans, flour and brown sugar and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, stir and test for seasonings.
- Adjust with salt and more hot sauce if needed.
- Let simmer for 1 1/2 – 2 hours partially covered, or you can pour the chili into your slow cooker and set on high for 2 hours, or low for 4-6 hours.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chili, chili recipe, dinner recipe, recipes with ground beef, recipes with beans